Parents, Keep Reading…. Professionals, Get Certified HERE
FOODTIME™- An Evidence-Based Intensive Feeding Program for Picky and Rigid Eaters
My child only eats a limited variety of foods, how can feeding therapy help expand his diet?
- FOODTIME™ takes a closer look into the various reasons children have difficulties with eating looking at the sensory, oral motor and emotional components.
- Therapists then create an individualized treatment plan targeting the specific needs of your child that focuses on helping them choose to increase their repertoire of food to make mealtime a more positive experience.
How do I know the right time to begin feeding therapy?
- Is your child is experiencing any of the following?
- family mealtimes feel like battles
- eats fewer than 20 different foods
- poor weight gain
- traumatic incidents with food such as choking, gagging, and/or vomiting.
Why should my child come to The Floortime Center for FOODTIME™?
- We differ from more traditional feeding therapy practices and programs by recognizing the emotional capacities and challenges that can be found around food and mealtime experiences.
- At The Floortime Center, therapists trained in The Greenspan Floortime Approach® and The Sequential-Oral-Sensory (S.O.S.) Approach to Feeding gear sessions towards keeping the child engaged and interested while targeting specific feeding goals.
- Our multidisciplinary team of therapists including occupational therapists and speech and language pathologists works™™ closely with parents for a highly collaborative approach towards meeting individualized feeding goals.
The overall goal of the intensive feeding program will be to create a foundation in key areas that are affecting age-appropriate feeding, as well as provide parents with education and treatment ideas for the home for carryover of progress and generalization of skills.
Goals of feeding therapy include:
- Increase positive feelings with mealtime routines and with food
- Increase intake and repertoire of food
- Improve oral motor skills necessary for eating age appropriate foods
- Decrease sensory aversions to certain textures and tastes to food
- Decrease behaviors that interfere with eating
- FOODTIME™ programs are tailored to meet the needs of the individual child and are typically 24 one hour sessions over a period of 12 weeks. The duration can vary depending on family and therapists schedules.
- Prior to beginning the intensive program, a feeding evaluation or consult will be performed to create an individualized feeding program for each child.
- Each week, the child will be seen by both an occupational therapist and speech and language pathologist.