School Ready… Life Ready™
Located at The Floortime Center® Bethesda, MD and Northern VA locations
The majority of the cost of the program, 60%-75%, will be insurance reimbursable services. Please check with your provider to see if you get “out of network” coverage.
THERASCHOOL™ is not a school or therapy. It is an evidence-based 12-16 week, (4 days per week, 3-4 hours per day), program that combines the best of an individualized intensive therapy program with social opportunities and semi-structured, thinking-based activities of a school.
Researchers have determined that it takes two weeks of intensive intervention to start the process of neuroplasticity, the process by which the brain wires itself and reorganizes its wiring. For an individual to master and sustain these neurological changes a longer intensive program is necessary. It can take 8 to 12 weeks (sometimes longer) to make lasting changes in the brain and develop new habits and behaviors.
For 12-16 weeks at The Floortime Center®, children will be given individualized therapy services based on the child’s specific needs, goals, and developmental profile. Children will also receive social opportunities and some semi-structured school activities like art, music, story, and snack times to support other developmental needs.
Groups will be determined by age and developmental ability. Typically, we have different groups starting at age 2-2.5 and going up to 6 years old.
Every child will receive a unique mix of developmental interventions including speech and language pathology, occupational therapy, visuo-cognitive therapy, Greenspan Floortime™, parent coaching sessions, and social opportunities. The entire program’s focus will be on social-emotional development, and all interventions will strengthen; building relationships, thinking, communication, and flexibility while also improving specific areas each individual therapy can target.
- Occupational Therapy– Sensory integration, sensory and emotional regulation, coordination, muscle tone, planning and sequencing (motor-based and with ideas),
- Speech and Language Pathology- communication (gestural and verbal), expressive and receptive language, feeding
- Visuo-Cognitive Therapy– visual-spatial processing, eye contact, transitions to different environments.
- Social Opportunities– sharing, turn-taking, compromising, creativity
- Greenspan Floortime – self-regulation, social patterns, emotional signaling and processing, creativity, expressive language, and adaptability
- Parent Greenspan Floortime Coaching– caregiver/child relationship, behavioral control, communication, and thinking
THERASCHOOL™ will be offered two times a year and only be available for 4 to 6 children each session (there is also an 8-week THERACAMP™). There will be at least 1 adult to every 2 children during social times, and a 1:1 ratio for individual therapies. Admission into the program is based on a child’s developmental ability, goals, age, and how their profile fits with the other children in the program.